Pilates can often be misconstrued as a slightly relaxed form of exercise, however this is not the case. Pilates focuses on strengthening and toning your muscles, make no mistake you will feel the results the next day.
So what exactly are the benefits of pilates? Check out the top 5 reasons why everyone should try pilates below.
- Pilates is ABS-olutely amazing for your core. Ever seen the meme “does one sit up, checks for abs?” Well, do a few pilates classes and you’ll notice the improvement in your core muscles that’s for sure! Pilates is a great way to tone your abs as most of the exercises rely on balance, bodyweight and core strength.
- Pilates can help to ease back pain. Experience lower back or back pain? As a result of strengthening your core through your pilates workouts, the flow on benefits can include a reduction in lower back pain. By strengthening the core muscles you are stabilizing your core's lumbar-pelvic (lower-back) region, helping to alleviate stress on the area.
- A pilates workout is great for all ages. Why? Because each exercise is about strengthening and toning, there is minimal impact on your joints. People of every age can enjoy pilates as there is less wear and tear on the joints. And because pilates improves your flexibility it can help to improve stiff joints by helping to stimulate the production of synovial fluid. This is known to enhance the lubrication at joints.
- A healthy body and mind. All exercise works wonders both physically and mentally however pilates is especially beneficial when it comes to your mental state. The atmosphere of a pilates class is extremely relaxed and promotes a high level of focus thanks to the encouragement of fluid breathing with each exercise.
- Finally, pilates actively improves your overall flexibility. A lot of people exercise but then overlook the importance of a good post workout stretch. When you workout, your muscles tighten and shorten. When your muscles feel tight you are often restricted in motion which can promote injury during your next workout. Pilates exercises offer a well balanced range of motions that work to improve flexibility.
It’s important to note that pilates is highly beneficial for strengthening, toning and flexibility however it is not an intense cardio workout.
At core focus pilates we promote a balance of our Reformer Pilates classes combined with TRX and our Core Jump class for a high cardio workout!
Check out our full list of Core Focus Pilates here.
Core Focus Pilates have studios in both Subiaco and Nedlands.
To book in with Core Focus Pilates please click here.